Feb 19, 2010

SIDEWALK CHARITY HUSTLE


Médecins Sans Frontières has been aggressively canvassing my 'hood: Ballard, Seattle. Recently, as I braced to run the three-person corner gauntlet, a man fell in step and said, “can you spare a moment?”

“I gave already,” I replied (omitting the “directly to Haiti” part. And also the “my god, now you’re running us down like Pamplona bulls?” one).

“Oh, I don’t care. I just figured if we were talking, the volunteers would leave us alone.”

Then my fellow pedestrian flashed a wicked grin and peeled off into a café.

Bravo.

So. Well. Played…

Ahem. Speaking of charities, my travel-writer friend Charyn has just three days left, fundraising for her yearlong, 12-country voluntourism stint, featured yesterday on National Geographic Traveler's blog. She's rapidly closing in on her $20,000 goal, but unless she hits it, she won't see a cent.

I just upped my pledge, selecting this nifty Pure Bamboo robe as a backer reward. The Global Citizen Project has other great treats, ranging from beer to books, homemade pulled pork to two nights at Mexico's Hacienda Tres Ríos Resort.

Here's a chance to bring help and exposure to twelve projects – including a Haitian relief effort – with one donation ... Not only is the Global Citizen Project a dynamic experiment in grassroots, new-media-driven funding, it's the lazy giver's Value Pack of charity goodness.

I won't hound you on the streets, folks. But please give!

(Photo Raymond Forget, 1963)

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    This is a wonderful blog! It was a very good read.

    I was wondering if you would be interested in guest blogging on my blog. It is a collection of my travels and the travels of my guests. If you scan the site you can see that now almost 100% of the posts are from guests. Lately I’ve been finding many people interested in guest posting.

    Included in your post will be a link to your website using whatever anchor text or key words you wish and a description of your site (if you choose to include one.)

    The blog (Cheapoair.typepad.com) contains hundreds of great stories from travelers who love to share their journey with the world…

    So if you are interested in being a guest, please let me know.

    Send me an Email:
    gchristodoulou(-at-)cheapoair(-dot-)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete