Like many others, I'm headed back to school this month, teaching workshops online. I'll be ringmaster of Writers.com's travel-writing intro for the 9th year (from 9/24), as well as teaching the newer master class (9/27) alongside some crazy-talented co-stars.
While putting together the syllabi, I had to comb through comments from past students. And, wow, I felt absolutely love-bombed by the end of it. Here are ten especially warm-and-fuzzy ones, in no particular order.
- "I spent eight semesters in creative writing classes at UC Berkeley, and Amanda offered more guidance and carefully directed help than any professor there." – Jenny Williams
- "She is a dream teacher, just the right balance between a knuckle-rapping tutor and a mom full of hugs. Thanks again for Writers.com. The course fees are lots cheaper than a shrink!" – Linda Petrucelli
- "I learned a huge amount, have had four pieces published and paid for (including my very first assignment, in The Guardian) and have completed the course with a sense of expanded possibilities. Thank you so much – this is the most rewarding educational experience I've had." – Rachael Davey
- "What an amazing gift you've given us: personalized attention plus huge generosity in sharing practical knowledge from the trenches. Far better than courses at traditional institutions." – Anne Anderson
- "Amanda is an amazing line editor and quick to provide excellent answers to questions. She's very supportive and encouraging, and I consider her not only my teacher, but a mentor as well." – Audrey Medina
- "At the end of 10 weeks, I had arrived in the Blogosphere, made new friends and even bagged a job as a writer at a magazine – all thanks to this course!" – Nidhi Nayer
- "With the confidence and skills Amanda gave me, I was able to approach highly regarded publications, like The Washington Post and the Toronto Star, and succeed in getting published. Amanda's class is a good investment, for beginners, as well as for professionals who need to energize their work and look at it from a different perspective. – Gaston Lacombe
- "She encouraged me to work beyond my limitations as a writer to points I'd never before reached, and beyond to new ones. Studying with Amanda will improve your writing, no matter the genre, and you'll have fun doing it!" – Debra Borchert
- "To have my first article accepted by the first publication I approached The Christian Science Monitor was like rocket fuel for me, and I have Amanda Castleman's expertise to thank." – Anne Clippinger, PhD, Adjunct Lecturer, Department of English, Montgomery College, MD
- "Amanda is an inspiration, an ideal to aspire to." – James Polk